Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I'm on a roll!!

OK, so I was kinda idley thinking of making this a more regular blog, although I"m still right confused (or more appropriately ignorant) of how to do all the cool things I see on other blogs like the little buttons on the side and whatnot so I'm not so sure. BUT this is a post with purpose. I found out that there's this secret pal swap over the 'net ( http://secretpal9.blogspot.com/ ) and I'm kinda thinking about joining. But being a new blogger (yes, I know i've been doing it all this year but just HAVING a blog does NOT make one an accomplished blogger LOL) I need more posts. and more fiber related posts. So in an attempt to try my hand at this regular blog thing and to build up my stash in case I decide to do the secret pal thing, I'm posting again.

SO, Just to ramble a bit here, I'm new to blogging but had a website I half kept up back when having your own website was the thing. lol I'm an admitted computer/internet junkie who watches WAY too much tv. Right now, i'm grossly involved with Project Runway and dying for Lost to come back on.

I've been crocheting for over 10 yrs and never would let Mom teach me how to knit. I didn't need to know how to knit, I could crochet. I can make whatever I needed. I was/am mostly into the smaller things, some doilies, dishrags and scrubbies - that everyone couldn't get enough of - a few afghans, scarves hats and such. Then the more patterns I looked for the more I kept seeing knitted things I wanted. Well, one night a earlier this year, I went to Walmart and picked up some size 11 straight needles and a booklet. I tried to teach myself how to knit. I was knitting wrong. LOL I finally broke down and called Mom. I had wanted to suprise her by going, "look what I knitted!" but I needed help. Much to one friends amazement, she talked me though knitting on the phone. Then proceeded to tell me how to purl on the phone too.

I won't by any means try to say I'm especially talented with yarn but they say everyone has their skill and I think yarn arts is mine. Mom is thoroughly impressed with how quickly I've picked up knitting. I tell her it's in my genes :)

So what have I knitted? the requisite scarf, a few felted bowls, a handful of felted cat beds, a baby sweater and more dishrags than I care to count right now. I know there are people who swear by scarves for beginners, I say forget that, lets felt!! it hides your mistakes and is still right usable! :) OH, I've also made some socks and some felted booties. I'm working on my first felted purse right now too.

Can you tell Mom had the felting bug and subconsiously pushed it on me? Its ok though. All the cats I've given beds to appreciate them, my friends have liked the bowls way more than a ton of scarves and my feet will love the booties this winter in my icebox of an apartment. :)

I have two cats (as previously mentioned) who thankfully don't help me knit or crochet. Bartholamew is old enough and wise enough and snuggly enough that just sitting in my lap is good for him. I can work over him. Pepper... she still thinks yarn looks suspicously like floss... but she's still young. She also thinks the needles may be awful fun to chew on. And well, most anything else she can get in her little mouth!

I guess that's enough for now. If I'm gonna make the minimum amount of posts I suppose I should save some rambling for later in the week. :)

No comments: